There are several things you can do to prevent your car being stolen, say Steenberg police.
• Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
• When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all the windows and the sunroof if your car has one.
• Never leave your car running and unattended.
• Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle where passers-by can see them.
• Do not leave your vehicle-registration papers in the car.
• Avoid high crime areas even if the alternate route takes longer.
• Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle. Thieves are reluctant to steal vehicles if they know the car can be recovered quickly.
• Look around you and be aware of your surroundings.
• If parked on an incline, leave your vehicle in park or in gear with the wheels turned toward the curb or some other obstruction. This makes it harder for thieves to tow your vehicle.