A plastic toy firearm was among the items confiscated at a Grassy Park high school after the principal asked police to conduct a search at the school.
Grassy Park police, including sector managers, a social crime prevention officer, the Metro canine unit and the station communications officer, visited the school on August 24, at about 8am.
They also confiscated cigarettes, lighters, knives and a small amount of dagga.
With the help of the dogs, police searched the premises and the pupils’ school bags.
Warrant Officer Wynita Kleinsmith, spokesperson for Grassy Park police station, said pupils were discouraged from joining gangs and using drugs and were urged to choose positive role models who they can look up to.
“Educators at the school welcomed this intervention as they have to deal with children smoking and dealing with drugs at the school. Grassy Park police created awareness by addressing safety and discipline,” said Warrant Officer Kleinsmith.
When asked what the charges were when a toy gun is found on somebody, she said if it is an adult, they will be arrested on charges of being in possession of an imitation firearm.
“In the case of an underage perpetrator, a probation officer will come out and the perpetrator will be released in the custody of his parents/guardian and will also be notified when he/she will appear in court, said Warrant Officer Kleinsmith.
She said none of the pupils were arrested and none of the confiscated items were found in anyone’s possession.
“Our aim with the school search was not to make arrests but to educate and raise awareness and for parents to see what their children bring to school and what teachers have to cope and deal with.”
* Anyone with information on crime in Grassy Park can call 021 700 3940 or Crime Stop at 08600 10111. All information will be treated as highly confidential and there is a reward system in place for cases which result in a prosecution. Sector commanders can be contacted at the following numbers:
* Sector 1 (Parkwood/ Fairways): Sergeant Heinrich Gordon: 082 522 2881
* Sector 2 (Grassy Park/ Zeekoevlei): Constable Cader Faroa: 082 522 0501
* Sector 3 (Lotus River, Eagle Park, Phumlani Village, Riemvasmaak, New Horizon, Pelican Park and Peacock Close and part of Zeekoevlei): Sergeant Alridge Isaacs: 082 522 2833
* Sector 4 (Ottery and Ferness Estate): Captain Isaac Hanekom: 082 522 0499