The City of Cape Town said it would continue evictions in Vrygrond in compliance with a court order to prevent illegal occupation.
Last week angry residents from an area dubbed Xakabantu in Vrygrond whose structures were demolished on Thursday October 31, petrol-bombed a bus in Prince George Drive and set alight another bus in Baden Powell Drive.
While the petrol bomb did not ignite, five people sustained injuries while in the second incident one passenger was seriously injured.
Bronwen Dyke-Beyer, Golden Arrow Bus Services spokesperson, said the first incident occurred at about 9am on Prince George Drive but the petrol bomb failed to ignite. “Two passengers were treated for shock on the scene and three passengers were transported to a hospital for further medical treatment. The second incident occurred at approximately 6pm on Baden Powell Drive. One passenger was seriously injured and was transferred to hospital for further treatment,” she said.
The bus was destroyed.
Western cape police spokesperson, Siyabulelo Malo, said two people were arrested following the petrol-bombing in Prince George Drive.
Community worker David Goliath confirmed the protest happened after shacks were demolished at Xakabantu and said those residents were angry and tired of having their structures broken down.
The protests follow numerous meetings about the land, which is part of the False Bay Nature Reserve.
Malusi Booi, Mayco member for human settlements, said the City had and would continue to engage with residents about the matter. “The City has a court order in place to prevent the illegal occupation of the land in question. It will therefore continue to remove unoccupied and illegal structures to prevent the illegal occupation of land.
“Numerous newly-established communities are demanding services, but currently the City is unable to cater for these unplanned settlements as existing recognised informal settlements are prioritised on the basis of available resources, which are not limitless,” said Mr Booi.