Four people were arrested in connection with a murder at the coastal park dumping site on Baden Powell Drive.
The men, aged between 26 and 46, appeared in the Muizenberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday February 24 after being positively linked to the murder of a 40-year-old security officer.
Police spokesperson Siyabulela Malo confirmed cases of murder and robbery were being investigated after the security guard was shot and killed at the landfill at about 6:20pm on Thursday February 20.
A case of robbery was opened because the man’s gun was also been stolen.
“According to reports, police attended the scene at the aforementioned address and discovered the body of the deceased and it is alleged that he had been robbed of his belongings by a group of people who attacked him,” said Mr Malo.
Muizenberg police spokesperson Captain Stephen Knapp said the dumping site had been set alight on Wednesday February 19.
He said a group of people, believed to be dirt pickers, had been denied access and tensions boiled over.
Ward 67 councillor Gerry Gordon could not confirm who the group of people were who tried to invade the landfill.
“It could possibly be a group of people who frequent the landfill who tried to gain access to the facility but at this point it is hearsay and the case is being investigated,” she said.