* Fit main doors with strong locks.
* Reinforce doors with iron-grill gates protected by a metal clasp and a strong closed shackle padlock.
* Install a burglar alarm to detect unlawful intrusion.
* Cancel all newspaper or magazine deliveries when going on holiday.
* Ask neighbours to keep an eye on your premises.
* Always insist on seeing identification cards of callers who claim to be government officials.
* Never open the door to strangers;
* Keep cash and valuables in banks or safety-deposit boxes;
* Alert your family members if you are sending someone unknown to their house;
* Report any suspicious characters to the police and ensure that you memorise a complete description of the suspect; and
* When going on holiday and leaving your premises unattended, report this to your local police station so they can keep an eye on your home.