The Cape of Goodhope (CoGH) SPCA, the oldest animal care facility in Cape Town, officially opened the doors to its newly renovated centre earlier this month in First Avenue, Grassy Park.
Founded in 1872, the NPO treats abused, neglected, injured, impounded and ill animals.
The upgrade, which started in January last year, was done in stages.
The centre now includes an adoption centre and pound, a dog and cat quarantine pod, a high volume waste water sewerage system and a new charity shop. The overhaul means a capacity increase of 75 percent so more animals will now be able to receive treatment at the facility and there is also adequate protection from the elements and sufficient space.
Much of the funds for the overhaul was raised through a “name a kennel” sponsorship scheme.