Teen and boy, 9, die in Wetton crash

Laeeq Bucks, 9, died on the scene of the crash.

A Grassy Park mother has appealed to social-media users to stop posting pictures and videos of a car crash that claimed the life of her 9-year-old son.

The child, Laeeq Buck, and Taariq Williams, 19, were returning home from a five-a-side soccer game, at Maynard Mall, on Wednesday January 5, at about 7.30pm, when the car they were travelling in hit a wall near the petrol station in Wetton Road.

Laeeq and Taariq, who were part of the Blue Bells Cricket Club, were among four occupants in the car including the driver and another child, a boy aged 8.

A Facebook video of the crash, posted on a traffic-and-safety report page, has drawn more than 65 000 views.

In a Facebook post Laeeq’s mother, Amaal Bucks, said she had been tagged to the video and pictures of the crash and she asked people to stop spreading the them.

“It pains me so deeply to think that there are people actually tagging me in posts and videos of the accident. How do you find comfort in your heart to do something like this? Please stop. Please remove it.”

It had taken her last strength to open Facebook and make the request, she said.

Laeeq’s father, Yushri Bucks, told the Southern Mail that the family were grieving and he asked that they be allowed to do so in private.

“We are in mourning and there have been a lot of things said on social media. We are grieving the loss of our eldest son, and we want to do so in peace.”

Taariq Williams, 19, died at the scene.

One of Taariq’s relatives, who did not want to be named, said the family were still in shock.

“What happened was tragic and devastating and we are saddened by the loss of the two wonderful boys,” he said.

Taariq and Laeeq were buried according to Muslim rites on Friday January 7.

According to ER24 spokesman Russel Meiring, emergency services had found the wrecked car on the centre median.

“A man was found lying trapped in the rear of the car while another man and two boys, believed to be 8 and 9 years old, were found seated outside,” he said.

The man in the car was dead from “numerous” injuries while the one boy was in a serious condition and the other had critical injuries. The second man had moderate injuries.

“Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the paramedics, the critically injured boy succumbed to his injuries,” said Mr Meiring.

The two remaining patients were transported to nearby hospitals for further care.

Details surrounding the incident were unknown but local authorities had been on the scene for further investigations, said Mr Meiring.

Provincial police spokesman Sergeant Wesley Twigg said Wynberg police were investigating a case of culpable homicide.

Anyone with any information can contact Crime Stop at 08600 10111.