Last week was a tough week for commuters when Metrorail had major delays on all their lines due to vandalism.
It was worsened on the Southern line when two men were knocked down by trains on two different occasions.
The first incident took place on Thursday, at 5.09pm, when a man was decapitated when he was hit by a train between Wynberg and Wittebome stations.
Commuter Lucien David Phillips saw the body on the tracks as he was on his way back from work in Woodstock.
“I didn’t see what happened but the train I was in was standing still and when I looked out we could see a man laying on the track. His head was laying about a metre away from his body – it was gruesome,” said Mr Phillips.
Wynberg police spokesper- son, Lieutenant Ntomboxolo Nqunqeka, confirmed the inci- dent.
“The man’s body was dragged about 13 metres away from where the incident took place and his head was lying between the rails.
“An inquest docket has been opened. The reason for the accident is unknown,” said Lieutenant Nqunqeka.
The second incident happened on Friday April 15, at 8.20am, near the same stations.
Lieutenant Nqunqeka said a 45-year-old man from Capricorn jumped off a stationary train when he was hit by the oncoming train.
She said an inquest docket had been opened.
Metrorail spokesperson Riana Scott said the incidents caused more delays.
“First priority was to call emergency services and the police who investigate such incidences. They took over the scenes until their on-site investigations was complete,” said Ms Scott.