Two dead after fire destroys Seawinds home

A 52-year-old man, who was a boarder, was found dead in the house.

Tragedy struck the community of Seawinds last week when a man died in a fire in the early hours of Friday March 25.

At about 1am residents of St Patrick Street were awakened by the sounds of breaking windows and screams for help when a house was engulfed in flames.

Neighbours collected water, hose pipes and plastic pool water as they tried to douse the flames but the fire was already out of control.

Most of the occupants had been evacuated from the home but a 52-year-old man, who was a boarder, was found dead in the house, said Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson Jermaine Carelse.

The 72-year-old owner of the house, Anna Adams, was rescued but had sustained severe burn wounds.

“We can confirm a man died and a woman suffered 70 percent burn wounds in a fire in Seawinds during the early hours of Friday March 25,” said Mr Carelse.

Police confirmed that the woman died at Victoria hospital two days later, on Sunday March 27.

The City’s Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at about 1:15am and fire crews from Lakeside and Wynberg fire stations were sent to scene and managed to contain and extinguish the fire by 2:50am, said Mr Carelse.

“The body of a man was discovered inside the passage way and the woman was treated and transported to a nearby hospital by ambulance.”

The cause of the fire is still unknown and the scene was handed over to police for further investigation.

Muizenberg police spokesperson Captain Stephen Knapp confirmed an inquest docket had been opened and was being investigated by the station.

A 72-year old woman Anna Adams, the owner of the house, was rescued but sustained severe burn wounds

Heather Williams, a community worker and neighbour to the fire victims said Ms Adams was a well known and respected member of the community who had been active for over 30 years.

“She was a fun-loving person and always played with the kids of the community. It is a sad time as we mourn her loss.”

Ms Williams explained what happened: “On the morning of the fire we rushed out to the commotion and Auntie Anna was rescued from the house and was assisted by paramedics at my residence and she was transported to the hospital but unfortunately passed on because she was badly burnt,” said Ms Williams.

The next door neighbour Raymond October was also wakened by the screams. “We don’t know what happened but by the time we got out the flames were uncontrollable. We tried to help but the fire brigade had to put the flames out.”

Mr October’s home, which is right next to the burnt residence, was damaged and they had no electricity because of the fire damage.

Ward councillor Mandy Marr was at the residence to offer assistance