Source of alcohol at school disco being investigated

One of the girls who was found intoxicated on the pavement.

From a group of girls who were found intoxicated on the pavement near a Wynberg high school, on Saturday May 19, four were released from hospital on the same day and one was released on Monday May 21.

Captain Ntomboxolo Nqunqeka, spokesperson for Wynberg police, said the police were alerted by the deputy principal of Immaculata High School of the incident around 4pm that day. On their arrival they found ER24 on the scene giving first aid to the pupils who were intoxicated.

Captain Nqunqeka said: “Five girls were admitted to Victoria Hospital and two of them to Groote Schuur Hospital. One of five in Victoria was discharged today (Monday May 21) and the other four, were discharged on Saturday.

Captain Nqunqeka said altogether seven girls were found intoxicated at the time when the police went to the scene. “Six of them were found in the taxi and the other girl was picked up by the police on the road near the school. Alcohol was confiscated by the police,” said Captain Nqunqeka.

BronaghHammond, spokesperson for the Western Cape Education Department (WCED), gave more details and said the incident happened at a school fair. “The food fair started at 11am – with a disco in the school hall from 2pm to 4pm. The food fair proceeded as planned and without incident.”

Ms Hammond said two security personnel were asked to monitor events at the school. They searched the bags of all those who entered to go to the disco.

“The principal and another assistant monitored the toilets. There were also monitors checking that any open beverages did not contain alcohol.”

She said it then became evident that the former pupil from the school was intoxicated.

“It was then revealed that alcohol was allegedly being distributed by a group of taxis outside the school premises.”

Lawenforcementwere immediately contacted, said Ms Hammond.

She said the principal went to investigate and two taxis and another car reversed and sped away when she approached them.

The principal then was called to assist a “past pupil” and another girl who were in a bad condition.

Ms Hammond said: “The disco had, by this time, been called off. Reports of more girls being sick down the road surfaced. The school sent SMSes to parents informing them that the disco had ended and that educators were present at the school.”

Ms Hammond said various reports are surfacing as to what had transpired. “All information has been handed over to SAPS, including the licence plate number of one the taxis.

“The school has reported the incident to the WCED district office.”

No case has been opened. A follow-up meeting will be held with the parents today Wednesday May 23.